Will anyone please spread the word about this person? It’s so scary and isolating to feel like there is nobody acting in solidarity and to see pretty much everyone defend this person’s hatred for trans women and particularly trans women of color.
Dr. Kortney Ziegler is the founder Trans*H4CK (and apparently an outspoken TransMRA who frequently cries about transmisandry when being called out). His influence, the support he receives for undermining trans women, and the total lack of people standing up to challenge those transmisogynist attitudes makes being a trans woman in the QTPOC hacker circles feel very unsafe.
Please signal boost!
Here’s one example you can scroll through for context (and there are highlights and analyses below):
- mirror: http://storify.com/JustBiyuti/holiday-transmisogyny
Let’s look at what he manages to accomplish in that thread…
- ☑ complains about safer/closed spaces for trans women
- ☑ uses the hashtag for trans women to demand inclusion
- ☑ assumes cissexism absolves trans dudes of male privilege
- ☑ says everyone experiences violence to makes a wash of identity politics and distinct forms of violence
- ☑ says trans men are the ones that are always excluded
- ☑ acts butthurt that their ‘knowledge’ of these issues isn’t being recognized
- ☑ changes his argument to pit anti-black racism against transmisogyny (as if the people who experience both don’t exist)
- ☑ complains that people should be thankful for all the work he’s done for the trans community
- ☑ upset by feeling like people don’t recognize him and only care about trans women of color
- ☑ uses the word ‘intersectionality’ as if it were interchangeable with ‘commonality’ which is the opposite of what it is.
For some thorough analysis,rebloggling only to say that actually, yes, voz has displayed antiblackness on more than one occasion toward numerous black ppl of multiple genders and i’m deeply uncomfortable with how THAT is being brushed over here.
for sure… that voz has been anti-Black isn’t in question.
nor quite being brushed over.
because in this context, it was a man coming into women’s space and literally just asking ‘what about the men?’
if he’d entered the conversation with
'hey, you know that voz is anti-Black, right?'
that he only brings up voz’s anti-Blackness in response to being called out for transmisogyny is telling to me (especially since she wasn’t directly involved in this particular exchange). he even recognizes this.
He starts out with:
So #holidayhandup is only for trans women….yall really yhink that trans men just dont need shit, huh?
he is the one that started with the framing of men vs. women, only to bring in Blackness and (well, racism via calling voz white), later on.
and when what went down with him and voz a year or more ago, i was still more active on twitter and interacting with voz. and it was a very similar situation. he was being transmisogynist and she was being anti-Black. it is possible (and true) for voz to be anti-Black at the same time that Dr. Kortney Ziegler PHD is transmisogynist. they don’t cancel each other out.
one critical difference, though, is that Dr. Kortney Ziegler PHD is, in part, building a career off of his transmisogyny. it is a central tenant to how he frames and does his ‘work’ for the ~trans community~. this incident is a great example. because, at the end of the day, if trans men of colour have no space…
it most certainly is not trans women of colour who are denying them that space. or taking it away.word, thanks for opening my eyes to that.